Suggestions

Suggestions

Postby samspade » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:42 pm

Hi Guys.

Many thanks for this great app. I purchased Touch Pilot for Android yesterday and had absolutely no issues setting it up and testing it (HP notebook with Windows 7 x64 and Acer A500 with Android 4.0.3).

I have also tested this with HID macros, a great program available from www dot hidmacros dot eu. This program allows you to assign keystrokes, macros and SimConnect commands to keyboards, etc. Worked like a charm with the basic tests that I have performed so far. I will do some in depth tests later...

In the meantime I have to say that the program is really great for a first release. I would also like to take the opportunity to list a few ideas that I have would make this app even better for me (and others I hope).

1) The ability to change the labels on screen to match the key assisgnments made. This could be by making the labels text which can be altered in a text file or via a menu option. Alternatively access to the background graphic so that it can be edited in a graphics program would be acceptable to me.

2) The ability to sselect the colour of the slider knobs. For example if I want to fly a twin engined plane, it would be nice to define 2 sliders as throttles and display black knobs for both controls. Same for twin mixture and twin prop speed if so desired.

3) I would really like the flaps and gear as sliders so you can see your settngs at a glance. I currently use a Saitek Throttle Quadrant and two axis setup this way. Gear up is up, gear down is down. I can see if I have the desired flap settings. It would be great to see this Touch Pilot.

4) The ability to setup alternate panel layouts, so as to have something like 1: GA single engine, 2: GA twin engine and 3: commercial aircraft.

I am sure there are other great enhancements but these are the 'easy' ones that come to mind. (Feel free to ignore me of course.)

Once again thanks for a great app.

Graeme
(SamSpade)
Graeme
(SamSpade)
samspade

Re: Suggestions

Postby Ben » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:08 pm

hi and welcome! glad you're liking the app. it's satisfying to hear that people are having fun with it.

those are all great suggestions. we would like to allow customization. it's a lot more work to implement that, so i don't know how soon it will happen. we have so many other apps we want to make. we have some tough decisions to make about where to put our efforts next. community feedback will definitely play a part in our decisions, so thanks for your input. we'll create some polls soon to see what our customers want next. stay tuned!
---------------------
Ben @ Touch Pilot
Ben

Postby samspade » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:35 pm

Thanks Ben.

Reading the General forum it looks like everyone agrees on customisation.

I figure you can use any suggestions so there is one more thing that occurred to me while using the app:

It would be great to have the light, aux, autopilot and gear buttons toggle between an on and off state each time they are pressed (ie have them stay lit when pressed once, then not lit when pressed a second time). That way the app's panel can provide feedback on a given function's status and can be included in the pilot's instrument scan instead of having to move around the VC view or bring up alternate 2D panels.

Graeme
SamSpade
Graeme
(SamSpade)
samspade

Postby Ben » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:03 am

i agree that would be nice. however, it's possible for the sim to get out of sync with the panel, because the app doesn't know the state of the sim. that would be annoying if the app thought your lights were on when they're not. we could make them blindly toggle, but often a sim starts up with certain lights and other functions already on. there's no way for the app to know what state the sim started in. TP1 works with any sim, so we can't just guess at which lights should be on, for instance.
---------------------
Ben @ Touch Pilot
Ben

Postby samspade » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:31 am

[quote="Ben"]i agree that would be nice. however, it's possible for the sim to get out of sync with the panel...[quote]

Too true, Ben. That even happens with hardware addons, particularly if you start a saved flight. With hardware mismatches I find I have to reset the hardware mode then set it again using the keyboard to so as to match things up. For example, starting a flight in the air with gear up my "gear lever" is down by default. I have to raise the lever (which lowers the gear) then hit "g" on my keyboard (to raise the gear again) just to set things aright.

Personally I am used to this but I take your point that this could throw people 'off course'. Maybe that's another configuration choice; something like a checkbox to allow the button to toggle on/off or just press and release!

Graeme
(SamSpade)
Graeme
(SamSpade)
samspade

Postby Ben » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:48 am

samspade wrote:Maybe that's another configuration choice; something like a checkbox to allow the button to toggle on/off or just press and release!

that's not a bad idea. you could fix out of sync buttons by pressing and holding, which would toggle that function without changing the illumination state of the button. hmm. i'll see if i can get around to implementing that.
---------------------
Ben @ Touch Pilot
Ben

Postby samspade » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:02 pm

that's not a bad idea. you could fix out of sync buttons by pressing and holding, which would toggle that function without changing the illumination state of the button. hmm. i'll see if i can get around to implementing that.

Now that is good thinking to fix the problem, although I think that the objective would be to toggle the display (change the illumination) without sending the instruction to the sim, thus matching the display with the 'aircraft' state.

For example, say you make 'gear down' green glow and 'gear up' red glow and you start a flight with gear up but TouchPilot shows it down, press and hold should change the colour of the glow but not send the gear down command. Same with lighting - lights on but TouchPilot shows off, the objective would be to change the illumination status, not turn off the lights...

Graeme
(SamSpade)
Graeme
(SamSpade)
samspade

Postby Ben » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:24 pm

yeah, you're right. that makes more sense. long press toggles the light, but doesn't send a command.
---------------------
Ben @ Touch Pilot
Ben

Postby sbaliko » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:05 am

Hi!

Thanks for this software, one more use of my tablet. :) I wrote a review to my flight sim website, a few suggestions:

- It's impossible to fine tune the axis, if I set a mixture to 100% then by a mistake set to 0% its instantly goes to the bottom. It will be cool if the axis not instatly, but continuously move to the new settings. We can agree, its is a bit harsh to set a mixture instantly to a completely different settings. :)

- Different flight sims out there with different requirements in the cockpit. Example: in the DCS: A-10C Warthog I would like to setup the UHF/VHF radio, ILS, TACAN and the onboard navigation systems with the Touch Pilot One, especially on the CDU sratchpad.

Sorry for my english.

Sándor

http://www.pcpilot.hu
sbaliko

Postby kymh » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:25 pm

Thanks for such a great little app for my android.

Using the tablet as a joystick rather than sending keystrokes is a fantastic idea but for many other applications, not just FSX.

I was getting close to buying a button box for my racing simulators etc. When I see the prices of these at sites such as http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/Button-Boxes.html it's easy to see great potential.

I'd be so happy if I could just have 32 buttons to program and add my own background image to serve the purpose of labeling and separating button categories.
This would be so much better than a button box which still has to be messed up with stick on labels.

Is it even possible to have two running at the same time with two different joystick id's or is that impossible.
62 buttons by quickly changing between two apps and all in the space of a 10" tablet with no wiring is such an exciting prospect :-)

Oh, on the current app it would be great to have the three sliders a little closer to enable all three to be operated at the same time without spreading the fingers so much (or at all)

Thanks again and (please) keep up the good work!

Regards Kym
kymh

Next

Return to General