Touch Pilot One and HOTAS Cougar Problems...

Discussion related to the server app that runs on your PC.

Touch Pilot One and HOTAS Cougar Problems...

Postby ArgonV » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:05 pm

Hello all!

So I downloaded this app for my iPad 2 to just try it out. For $6.00 what do I have to lose? Any how I got the app server setup and running fine, and the Touch Pilot One app responds great on the iPad 2. The issue that I'm having is the hardware driver that Touch Pilot One installs is causing my HOTAS Cougar joystick to no longer be the same hardware ID, thus games are not recognizing my existing joystick setup. It (The HOTAS) responds great in the Thrustmaster Cougar control panel, but when I try to fly a sim, no input from my Cougar! If I disable the Touch Pilot One Virtual Joystick device in Device Manager the HOTAS Cougar starts to work again in sims. When I view the devices in Game Controllers, the Touch Pilot One is always at the top of the rest of my listed controllers. Anyway to move the HOTAS Cougar back to the top? I think this is the reason behind my issues... I also have two Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs, they are at the bottom. I've already tried setting the HOTAS Cougar as the main device under the Advanced menu in Game Controllers Settings.

Thanks for any help!

I'm running Win 7 x64
Intel i7 920
12GB of DDR3 mem
AMD 5870s in CrossfireX w/Catalyst 12.7 Beta drivers
ArgonV

Re: Touch Pilot One and HOTAS Cougar Problems...

Postby Ben » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:27 pm

interesting. can you tell me what the hardware IDs of the hotas are? go to the device manager, double click the device, go to the details tab, choose Hardware IDs from the drop down. thanks.
---------------------
Ben @ Touch Pilot
Ben

Postby ArgonV » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:06 pm

Here's what I have for HOTAS Cougar (IN):

USB\VID_044F&PID_0400&REV_0110&MI_03
USB\VID_044F&PID_0400&MI_03

HOTAS Cougar (OUT):

USB\VID_044F&PID_0400&REV_0110&MI_04
USB\VID_044F&PID_0400&MI_04
ArgonV

Postby Ben » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:42 am

ok, there doesn't appear to be any conflict of hardware IDs. what about the MFDs? do these hardware IDs apply to them as well?
---------------------
Ben @ Touch Pilot
Ben

Postby ArgonV » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:27 pm

I've tried just unplugging the MFDs and tested, same results. So I don't think so. Anything else I should look at?
ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:48 pm

I figured out what I think is happening and I'm wondering if there's a way to fix it?

What's going on is the new Virtual Joystick device is taking over controller 0 in the Game and Controller pages, and instead making my HOTAS Cougar be controller 1. Many games are apparently not programmed correctly, and instead assigning IDs to joysticks alphabetically via the Vendor/Device ID. Is there a way to change the Vendor/Device ID easily to something alphabetically lower?
ArgonV

Postby Ben » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:47 pm

the order that the game controllers are shown in the control panel is not significant. games identify usb devices by their hardware IDs, which look like VID_044. the actual name of the controllers are purely for display purposes. if two devices had the same hardware ID, then there could be a conflict, but that doesn't appear to be the case here. i'm going to install the cougar hotas software on my pc and see if i can find any clues.
---------------------
Ben @ Touch Pilot
Ben

Postby ArgonV » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:21 am

Thanks, I'll look at all the VIDs for my USB devices.
ArgonV

Return to Touch Pilot Server