Connection problems thread

Discussion related to the server app that runs on your PC.

Connection problems thread

Postby Ben » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:45 pm

If you're having trouble getting the app to connect to your PC, please read this troubleshooting guide. If you still can't get connected, post about it here and I'll try to help!
---------------------
Ben @ Touch Pilot
Ben

Re: Connection problems thread

Postby APA603 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 am

Hi Ben,

I'm having a problem getting things running. The server fires up and reports:

Touch Pilot Server 1.0.0.0
Server started on 192.168.1.2, port 42000

but does not give a Ping Message and my Android tablet does not have a Menu button available, once the Touch Pilot app is running fullscreen, so I'm unable to set the IP for the server manually.

The tablet has a 'hard' button but this is to go backwards to the desktop, not to any menu options.

The tablet runs the app but just shows "searching for a server".

Is there a config file somewhere on the tablet that I can edit manually to set the IP?

Regards
Ken Jagger
APA603

Postby APA603 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:18 pm

Further to the above problem I've now solved it and my experience may help others in future.

I found out that Android 4.0.3 has an option in Settings/Display to "Hide status bar", which in my tablet was set to Auto hide. Switching it to System Default left the bar visible at the bottom of the screen, so I can access the Touch Pilot Menu now. However setting the IP Address manually still didn't find the server.

My Internet connection is cable and I have a cable running from the ISP Router to another Router in the house, to which my desktop PC is hardwire connected. My tablet is connecting to the ISP Router, so I plugged the PC directly into the ISP Router and the server and tablet now connected.

It would be nice to be able to connect to my home network regardless of existing connections, rather than having to be connected to the same Router, as I have another desktop connected to the 2nd Router, which is out of action if I have to connect as above.

At least with a bit of grovelling around under my desk, I can now get Touch Pilot working when I need it.
APA603

Postby Ben » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:16 pm

glad you got it working and thanks for sharing your solution. as you discovered, the pc and tablet must be on the same network. sounds like your two routers are not configured to operate as one network. they are effectively two networks. you can set them up as one network if you configure the 2nd router as a client bridge. it's a bit complicated, and not all routers support this, so you'll have to do some googling if you want to do it. alternatively, you can have your tablet connect to the 2nd router (the one that the pc is directly connected to).
---------------------
Ben @ Touch Pilot
Ben

Postby APA603 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:16 am

Would changing the 2nd Router to a Switch be the easiest solution?
APA603

Postby Ben » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:32 am

possibly. you could try it.
---------------------
Ben @ Touch Pilot
Ben

Postby APA603 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:33 am

Replaced the 2nd Wireless Router with a 1GB 5-port Switch and connection works automatically now :)

Thanks for your responses Ben
APA603

Return to Touch Pilot Server