TP server and iPad connection problem

Discussion related to the server app that runs on your PC.

TP server and iPad connection problem

Postby Ribinski » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:47 am

Just downloaded and installed the first production versions server 1.0 and iPad app.
Windows 7, 64 bit and 3rd gen ipad.
Great concept!

First problem
The server launches ok and gets the ping from the iPad, but after that, no input is received from the iPad app.
At least the server window nor the win7 game control panel does not register anything when trying to test/calibrate.
This like the person had the problem, but it wasncorrected by unactivating the virusprotection.
Except that i have not any protection activated and the firewall settings let the ts server to operate (exception for the application).

Second problem
Have Saitek throttle quadrants x2 and rudder pedals. (+thrustmaster stick)
After the TP server installed, the saitek controllers, though recognised by the system, loose their launch bar icons (bottom right corner of screen) in which one can assign profiles to the Saitek controllers. Have to un-install tp server and rerun the installers for saitek to restore functionality.
Something with tp server driver installation is "colliding" here?
Ribinski

Re: TP server and iPad connection problem

Postby Cougar_DK » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:11 am

Hi,

I had the same as your problem one. I'm running windows firewall and even though I had allowed access I still got the same as your. So I thought what the heck, and disabled the firewall and it started to work after I started the app on the iPad again. I then turned the firewall on again and it still works. So its worth a try :)
Cougar_DK

Postby Cougar_DK » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:13 am

Hmmm after restarting both the server and app its still can't connect. So its somehow related to the firewall :?:
Cougar_DK

Postby Ben » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:40 am

Ribinski wrote:Just downloaded and installed the first production versions server 1.0 and iPad app.
Windows 7, 64 bit and 3rd gen ipad.
Great concept!

First problem
The server launches ok and gets the ping from the iPad, but after that, no input is received from the iPad app.
At least the server window nor the win7 game control panel does not register anything when trying to test/calibrate.
This like the person had the problem, but it wasncorrected by unactivating the virusprotection.
Except that i have not any protection activated and the firewall settings let the ts server to operate (exception for the application).

Second problem
After the TP server installed, the saitek controllers, though recognised by the system, loose their launch bar icons (bottom right corner of screen) in which one can assign profiles to the Saitek controllers. Have to un-install tp server and rerun the installers for saitek to restore functionality.

hi Ribinski. have you checked out the troubleshooting guide yet?
http://touchpilot.net/download/troubles ... -problems/

do you get a connected message like this?

that's interesting about the saitek i'll look into it and let you know what i find.
---------------------
Ben @ Touch Pilot
Ben

Postby Ben » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:42 am

Cougar_DK wrote:Hmmm after restarting both the server and app its still can't connect. So its somehow related to the firewall :?:

yes, it sounds like a firewall problem. check out the troubleshooting guide. you may have to manually create an exception for Touch Pilot Server in Windows Firewall.
---------------------
Ben @ Touch Pilot
Ben

Postby Ben » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:31 am

Ribinski wrote:Second problem

i have a saitek cyborg evo joystick, and i run the SST software for it, and don't have any problems. when you say your saitek controllers lose their launch bar icons, are you talking about the SST icon?

can you go into your device manager, and tell me what the hardware IDs are for all the saitek devices on your system? you'll have to double click each one, go to the details tab, and select hardware id from the drop down menu. see the attached screenshot. thanks.
Attachments
hardware_id.png
hardware_id.png (8.9 KiB) Viewed 74194 times
---------------------
Ben @ Touch Pilot
Ben

Postby Cougar_DK » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:58 pm

Ben wrote:
Cougar_DK wrote:Hmmm after restarting both the server and app its still can't connect. So its somehow related to the firewall :?:

yes, it sounds like a firewall problem. check out the troubleshooting guide. you may have to manually create an exception for Touch Pilot Server in Windows Firewall.

I will try it again when I get home, taking some screen shots, maybe you can see something I can't ;)
Cougar_DK

Postby Ribinski » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:21 am

1.) Connection to the Server with the iPad app
Touch Pilot iPad reports with message Connected to 10.0.1.6 in my case.
Which is actually odd, because my address space runs 10.10.15.1....10.10.15.199 and my computers which make the connection, use the address pool 10.10.15.100-10.10.15.199 when using dhcp as below 100 are reserved for static addressing.
Anyway, Touch Pilot iPad makes the connection according to the Touch Pilot SERVER log window, as the server reports the iPads correct IP address, 10.10.15.108, in my case.

Troubleshooting guide refers to a menu button on the iPad, can not see one.
Otherwise tried to follow the guide.

2. The Saitek controller problem
Yes, I am refering to SST icons, one for each controller, in my case 2 x Quadrant and 1xpedals.
The Hardware id for both Saitek Throttle Quadrants are: HID\VID_06A3&PID_0C2D&REV_0200
Please note that they have worked correctly together.
I fly IL2-Sturmovik 1946 and Cliffs of Dover mainly.

3. Tested some things here and there
Today, I tested by changing first the ip addresses to static and installing the TP Server and re-installed the Saitek SST software (diffrent version for quadrants and pedals) once they had been deactivated by the TP server installation. (I disconnected the all Saitek controllers 2x throttle and pedals).
Inactivated the firewall for a moment.
Allways the server reports ip address and ping ok, but after that no input from iPad and iPad reports wrong ip when connecting.

Then i fiddled with the iPad app buttons, pressed again and again and suddenly, for some reason I got feedback on the Server log window.
Because i don´t know what i did in what order, can not tell you what made the difference.

After rebooting the machine the SST icons stayed in their place, but the connection problem went back to its "initial state", pings and ip ok on Server, but no messages when pressing buttons on iPad and wrong Ipon iPad when connecting.

Go figure!
Ribinski

Re: TP server and iPad connection problem - a solution?

Postby Ribinski » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:46 am

I think I have an answer at least for my case.

1. I start the server normally (it reports ok status)
2. I start the iPad app and it connects to the server (it "pings" and iPads ip address is correct)
3. I send the iPad app to the background by pressing the iPads HOME button ONCE (it does not quit the app?)
4. I then "call" the iPad app back to the foreground by pressing the iPad Home button TWICE and tapping on TP-icon from the list OR launch it from the "desktop" by tapping the TP icon.
5. At this point, when TP re-enters the stage, it seeks for the server again, because it displays the searching for server message in the left top corner
6. The inputs begin to work! (Well, the TP Server reports them at least)

Hope this helps for debugging.
Ribinski

Re: TP server and iPad connection problem - a solution?

Postby Cougar_DK » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:48 am

Ribinski wrote:I think I have an answer at least for my case.

1. I start the server normally (it reports ok status)
2. I start the iPad app and it connects to the server (it "pings" and iPads ip address is correct)
3. I send the iPad app to the background by pressing the iPads HOME button ONCE (it does not quit the app?)
4. I then "call" the iPad app back to the foreground by pressing the iPad Home button TWICE and tapping on TP-icon from the list OR launch it from the "desktop" by tapping the TP icon.
5. At this point, when TP re-enters the stage, it seeks for the server again, because it displays the searching for server message in the left top corner
6. The inputs begin to work! (Well, the TP Server reports them at least)

Hope this helps for debugging.

I can confirm this helps on my connection problem also! Great find Ribinski ;)
Cougar_DK

Next

Return to Touch Pilot Server